The Encyclopaedia of Plymouth History
The Naval Bank was started in 1774 as Messrs Harris, Turner,
and Herbert . It was saved from the
banking crisis of 1825 by the loyalty of the
local nobility and tradesmen. On Wednesday October 5th 1825 the Bank published a
notice of thanks for their confidence and kindness.
In 1830 the Bank is listed as Messrs Harris, Rosdew and Company and it was open from 10am until 4pm. In 1850 it was Messrs Harris, Mudge and Company, and was located at 32 Whimple Street, Plymouth. Following the death of Mr John Harris, of Radford, Plymstock, Mr Thomas Hillersden Bulteel was appointed a partner in 1841. He was followed by his son, Mr Thomas Bulteel, some years later.
A branch was opened at 18/19 Edgcumbe Street, East Stonehouse, during the 1880s and further expansion took place during the 1890s with new branches at 5 Belgrave Terrace, Mutley Plain, and the Ridgway, Plympton. By 1905 the Naval Bank had a branch at 98 Fore Street, Devonport.
By the start of the Great War the partnership was Messrs Harris, Bulteel and Company although the actual, named partners were Mr Frederick Thomas Bulteel and Mr Mackworth Parker. The financial pressures brought about by the declaration of War caused the Bank to stop payments at close of business on Saturday August 22nd 1914 .
Lloyd's Bank Limited were quick off the mark and announced to all the customers of the Naval Bank that: 'We shall be happy to make immediate advances, without interest, to credit customers of the firm up to five shillings in the £ in respect of their balances, and to give all possible consideration to applications from customers who desire that facilities for over-drawn accounts should be continued.'
|© Brian Moseley, Plymouth, UK|
Any problems viewing this webpage should be notified to the webmaster at plymouthdata dot info