The Encyclopaedia of Plymouth History
CHURCH OF SAINT MARY AND ALL SAINTS
The Church of Saint Mary and All Saints is in Church Road at Plymstock, Plymouth.
The Ancient Parish Church of Saint Mary and All Saints
At one time subservient to Plympton Priory, just like its neighbour at Plymouth, it later passed in to the hands of Tavistock Abbey. The present building dates largely from the 14th century but the west tower was added in the 15th century.
The Church of Saint Mary and All Saints is built in the Perpendicular style and consists of a chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches, and an embattled tower with a clock and six bells. The font dates from the Early Norman period. There are two excellent granite arcades, of differing styles, and a handsome 15th century rood screen. The pulpit is late 17th century, with contemporary stairs and sounding-board.
Originally the tower held five bells. In 1866 these were re-hung and a sixth bell added. The second of the bells was cast in 1735 but the remaining five were cast in 1739.
A large Elizabethan-style vicarage was erected in about 1848 by the then incumbent, the Reverend F F Coke. The land was donated by the Duke of Bedford.
In 1866 the Church was re-roofed, re-seated, the bells were re-hung and a new vestry was added. Together with work outside to the burial ground and walls, the total cost of the works was some £2,500.
Messrs Hele & Company, of Plymouth, installed a new organ in 1868. The rood screen was restored in 1887, under the direction of Mr R Medley Fulford ARIBA, of Exeter. The work was carried out by Mr Harry Hems at a cost of £350.
A chapel-of-ease known as The Mission Chapel of the Good Shepherd, was erected in Marine Road, Oreston.
The Parish Room was erected 1902.
In the south chancel aisle, which was the private chapel of the Harris family, of Radford, are some good 17th and 18th century mural monuments of the family.
|© Brian Moseley, Plymouth, UK|
Any problems viewing this webpage should be notified to the webmaster at plymouthdata dot info