PLYMOUTH
DATA
www.plymouthdata.info

The Encyclopaedia of Plymouth History

Click here to return to the Home page      Click here for more information about this website       Click here to go to the A - Z Contents page       Click here to go to the Links page       Click here to go to the Disclaimer page       Click here to link to the Can you help? page


GUILDHALLS

Updated:  04 February 2011 

The present Guildhall in Royal Parade is believed to be Plymouth's fifth such building.

There was firstly an 'olde yelde hall' referred to in 1494 but nothing is known about it.  Worth thought it had been somewhere in Old Town.

In 1440, following the incorporation of the Borough of Plymouth, a new Guildhall was erected in the vicinity of Southside Street or Woolster Street.  Worth records that a new front was put on it in 1515 and the great bell was bought by public subscription in 1560.  There are some accounts in the City archives that appear to show that it was either rebuilt or a new one erected in its place in 1564/65.

The third such building was what has become known as the Jacobean Guildhall.  It was built in 1606/07 on a completely new site at the junction of High Street and Whimple Street.

The Jacobean Guildhall in Plymouth

The imposing Jacobean Guildhall.

That building was demolished in 1799 and the foundation stone laid of a new one designed by a Mr Evelegh or Eveleigh, of Bath.  It was a triangular-shaped structure because of the triangular-shaped site and became so ridiculed that it became known as Evelegh's Guildhall.

It was not long before Evelegh's Guildhall was being described as 'Inconvenient as a Guildhall, unsuited as a mayoralty house, inadequate as a prison and absurd as a market' and eventually, in 1869, the Corporation invited designs for a brand new building in Bedford Street.

Thus what is the present Plymouth Guildhall was opened in 1874 and in spite of being burnt out during the Plymouth Blitz of 1941 it continues to serve the City today.

  


Source:

Worth, R N, FGS, "History of Plymouth from the Earliest Period to the Present Time", Messrs William Brendon & Son, Plymouth, 1890.

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth, UK

Any problems viewing this webpage should be notified to the webmaster at plymouthdata dot info