The Encyclopaedia of Plymouth History

Click here to return to the Home page      Click here for more information about this website       Click here to go to the A - Z Contents page       Click here to go to the Links page       Click here to go to the Disclaimer page       Click here to link to the Can you help? page



Updated:  12 April 2011 

Location of Cornwall Street, Plymouth

The Cornwall Street of pre-War days ran westwards from the Market to the junction with Bedford Street, Frankfort Street and Russell Street.

Origin of the name, Cornwall Street

Exactly why the name of the adjoining County was used is not known.  It may have been because it was the route out of the Market to Cornwall but it may also refer to the then Duke of Cornwall.

Cornwall Street, Plymouth.


History of Cornwall Street, Plymouth

Cornwall Street was in existence by 1812.  [1]

One of the principal buildings erected in the Street was the Plymouth Cottonian Library.

Being in the centre of the City, Cornwall Street was devastated during the Second World War and the Plymouth Library was totally destroyed.

It later transpired that Mr Jim Perry, of Huntley Villas, Plymouth, and Mr Albert Goodwin, of Efford, were the drivers of the B15 Ruston-style excavator used to demolish the buildings in preparation for the construction of the the present Cornwall Street during the Reconstruction of the City Centre.  [2]

Some Views of Cornwall Street, Plymouth

Photographs to follow.





Occupants of Cornwall Street, Plymouth


[1]  "The Picture of Plymouth", Rees and Curtis, Plymouth, 1812.

[2]  " - ? - ", Western Evening Herald, Plymouth, September 29th 1993.

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth, UK

Any problems viewing this webpage should be notified to the webmaster at plymouthdata dot info