include Wympilstrete in 1518 and Whimplestrete in 1577 .
It is included in
the list of streets attached to the Town Rental of 1706, where it is
referred to as where the fish market is held ,
and it is shown on Benjamin Donn's plan of Plymouth of 1765 .
In fact the building
shown in the centre of the roadway on Donn's Plan is the "Fish
Shambles" or "Fish Cage", which was erected in 1692 .
accounts for the reference in the lease and release of Mr John Pike's two
messuages as being 'in Whimple Street alias Market Street'.
However, this may merely indicate that the properties were at
the point where Whimple Street met Market Street. 
Whimple Street was rather oddly numbered. It started at the Old Guildhall Tavern
at top of the High Street, ran along the south-western side to
Saint Andrew Street,
recommenced on opposite, on the corner of
Old Town Street, and ran back along the
north-eastern side as far as Kinterbury Street. Then it went across Looe Street and
included numbers 40 and 41 on the eastern side of High Street, at the top of Bull Hill.
Today only a small part of Whimple Street
still exists and Gribbles the tailors are still there. The ground floor of the Victoria Chambers, on the corner of
Street, right opposite
Saint Andrew's Church, is a
Some Views of
Whimple Street, Plymouth, looking east towards
the Old Guildhall.
Occupants of Whimple
 Whitfeld. Henry Francis, "Plymouth and Devonport: In Times of War
and Peace", E Chapple, Plymouth, and Hiorns & Miller,
Devonport, Second Edition, 1900.
re 'a shoppa in Wympelstrete' in Simon Carswyll's Book,
Worth, R N, FGS,
"Calendar of the Plymouth Municipal Records", 1893, page
J E B, Mawer, A, and Stenton, F M, "The Place-Names of Devon: Part
One", Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1969, page 234.
Rental for Mayoral Year beginning 1706" listed in section H:
Rentals, Surveys, and Records of Property, of Worth, R N, FGS,
"Calendar of the Plymouth Municipal Records", 1893.
Benjamin, "A Map of the County of Devon 1765", facsimile,
and Cornwall Record Society and the University of Exeter,
Llewellyn, FSA, "A History of Plymouth", Simpkin, Marshall &
Company, London, and W H Luke, Plymouth, 1873. SEE
ALSO Richard Cowl's "Map of Plymouth", Plymouth & West Devon Record
Office, Plymouth, accession number 157 or PH/435/1.
and release of Mr John Pike, goldsmith, dated October 1724,
Plymouth & West Devon Record Office, Plymouth, Accession number
47/2a-b, and also Mr Pike's will dated January 1719, Accession