New version: April 21st 2014
Saint Budeaux is a parish and a village, originally four miles north of Plymouth but now entirely within the City of Plymouth.
It was recorded in the Domeday Book of 1086 as "Bucheside" but did not apparently gain its prefix of until the 16th century, when it was known as "Seynt Bodokkys". The origin of the place-name is given here. A chapel dedicated to Saint Budoc was attached to the manor house, served by priests from Plymouth's Saint Andrew's Church, until it was created an ecclesiastical parish in its own right in 1482. The parish church of Saint Budeaux was erected in 1563-64. There were several manors within the Parish.
At the time of the census in 1851, the population of the parish was 1,096 people. In 1854 some 100 acres of pasture land were added to the parish by means of the Ernesettle Embankment.
Several charities supported the poor of the parish, a poor house and a school attached to the Church. The Post Office was at King's Tamerton, served from Plymouth. Two carriers took farm and market garden produce to Devonport Market and Plymouth Market. The Saint Budeaux School Board was formed in 1901. Saint Budeaux Station was opened adjacent to Victoria Road in 1890, a through tram service to Morice Square, Devonport, was started in 1903 and the Great Western Railway opened their Platform in 1904. From the 1920s Motor Bus Services ran to Devonport.
Saint Budeaux was made a civil parish in 1894 and in 1895 Saltash Passage was transferred from the parish of Saint Stephen's in Cornwall to the new civil parish, prior to the whole being absorbed into Devonport in 1898, subject to conditions which the Borough Council had to fulfil. Under the Devon Review Order of 1935, the Civil Parish took over the major part of Pennycross.
For more information about the notable places within the parish please refer
to the Saint Budeaux Gazetteer.
Brian Moseley, Plymouth, UK 2014