PLYMOUTH
DATA
www.plymouthdata.info

The Encyclopaedia of Plymouth History

Click here to return to the Home page      Click here for more information about this website       Click here to go to the A - Z Contents page       Click here to go to the Links page       Click here to go to the Disclaimer page       Click here to link to the Can you help? page


SCHOOLS  |  SCHOOLS ALPHABETICAL INDEX  |  SCHOOLS CHRONOLOGICAL INDEX

PLYMOUTH HIGH SCHOOL FOR GIRLS

Updated:  15 June 2012 

Plymouth High School for Girls is situated in Saint Lawrence Road, Plymouth.

The Devon and Cornwall Girls' School Company was formed in February 1874 and they opened a school for girls in Sherwell House, North Hill, Plymouth, on September 14th of that same year.

It was, however, intended that the school should have its own premises and for this purpose a fund had been set up in order to raise money to purchase a suitable site.  Land surrounding the detached property known as North Hill was chosen and the first part of the School was opened there by the Bishop of Exeter, Doctor Frederick Temple, on January 21st 1878.  North Hill House became the home of the headmistress, Miss Kendall.

The new building was designed by a Mr Paull and erected by Messrs Blatchford of Tavistock.  3,000 was expended on the purchase of the site and a further 10,000 on the buildings.

North Hill House (in the ancient parish of Saint Andrew's) was demolished in 1939 for the construction of a new wing.  Later, in the mid-1970s, the School expanded into the adjacent block that had been built in 1878 for the South Devon and Cornwall Blind Institution.

The kitchen at the School provided around 500 meals every day to the British Restaurants erected in the City during the Second World War.

 


Sources (incomplete):

[1]  ?

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth, UK

Any problems viewing this webpage should be notified to the webmaster at plymouthdata dot info