The Encyclopaedia of Plymouth History
Plymouth's first Boy Scout troop was registered with scouting headquarters in London on July 4th 1908, the year that the movement was founded. It was allied to All Saints' Church in Harwell Street.
On the evening of Wednesday May 17th 1911 the 1st Plymouth Troop produced an "Entertainment in Aid of the Boy Scouts" at the Prince's Hall, Plymouth. Their Scout Master was the Reverend E C Barnicoat. Although the concert consisted mainly of adults playing the piano, singing or acting, the boys themselves did produce an item entitled "The Scouts". Those taking part included Corporal Tom Matthews; Patrol Leaders Clemens, Beams and Bidgood; and Scouts Warran, Ross, Artus and Brown.
The District Headquarters was at 7 Regent Street in 1912, the year that the Wolf Cub movement was started. This later became the home of the 5th Plymouth (Saint Peter's Church) and later still the 7th Plymouth.
By 1914 there were 22 Scout Troops and 7 Wolf Cub Packs in the area. The Rovers movement was not started until 1918.
During April 1923 four performances of a Scout Pageant were put on at the Guildhall. It was written by Mr Charles G Richards and was intended to illustrate the aims of the scouting movement. It was a huge success and was rounded-off with a Scout Service in the Guildhall on Sunday April 15th.
Scouts in the Plympton district were part of the Ermington and Plympton Boy Scouts' Association. In October 1926 Lady Mildmay was the president; Mr S Hammick was the chairman and honorary treasurer; Mr E G H Dennig, the honorary secretary; and Brigadier-General A J Kelly CB, the District Commissioner.
The 1st Plympton Troop had 18 Scouts and 2 officers while the Cub Pack had 10 Cubs and 2 officers. The 1st Elburton Troop had 20 Scouts with 2 officers while its equivalent Cub Pack had 15 Cubs and 3 officers. Plymstock just had the 1st Plymstock Scout Troop of 16 Scouts and 2 officers. The Association also included groups in Cornwood, Ivybridge, Sparkwell and Yealmpton but,, curiously, not Ermington.
On October 18th 1929 a new District Headquarters was opened at Buckland House, Buckland Street, Plymouth, by the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe.
Between August 1st and 9th 1936 the Scout's Jamboree was held at Mount Edgcumbe Park. This was repeated in 1946.
The 30th Plymouth Scout Troop, based in Regent Street, Plymouth, was the first to form an Air Scouts patrol. The Scoutmaster was Mr Geoffrey P S Hill, who was assisted by Mr Alistair T Davey. In 1935 they had added aviation to the usual scouting activities and in January 1937 they were allotted a corner of Plymouth's Roborough Airport for flying model aeroplanes. In due course the patrol of eight boys, with a Rover Air Patrol of another 6 older lads, were allowed to have a hut at the airfield. They also did routine duties and ground work at other local aerodromes.
"Bob A Job" week was launched in 1949.
The programme cover from the Plymouth Tenth Anniversary Boy Scouts' Gang Show in 1963.
The first local Gang Show took place at Honicknowle Secondary Modern School between April 19th and 24th 1954. Tickets cost three shillings. Subsequently the Gang Shows were held at the New Palace Theatre and then, in 1966, to the Hoe Summer Theatre.
Some 800 Boy Scouts mainly from Plymouth attended a "Jamborette" in Mount Edgcumbe Park in June 1957, the first such event since Plymouth became an independent area from the County of Devon. The Earl of Mount Edgcumbe was the president of the Plymouth & District Boy Scouts' Association. In the course of five hours on the evening of Thursday June 6th 1957 some 25 tons of camping equipment was shipped across the Hamoaze by barge from Admiral's Hard to Cremyll. The City's Scout Commissioner, Mr Charles H Chapman, was in charge of the transfer. 
The foundation stone for new headquarters was laid at Blindman's Wood, Manadon, in 1957 by Mr Ernest Vosper. The site had been purchased for £430. The headquarters was opened in stages, with the main hall getting its official opening by Viscount Amory on Saturday June 12th 1965.
|© Brian Moseley, Plymouth, UK|
Any problems viewing this webpage should be notified to the webmaster at plymouthdata dot info